P
PUGET

OFFICIAL NUMBER: 205849  BUILT: 1908 as Vashonian.  LENGTH: 121.5 BEAM: 34.4  DEPTH 9.0 GROSS/NET TONNAGE: 471/395   PASSENGER CAPACITY: 240  AUTOS: 20

HISTORY: Built in 1908 as the steamship
Vashonian  for the Vashon Island Transportation Company.  She was unprofitable on the Seattle-Tacoma run and was moved to the San Juan
Islands mail run via Port Townsend in 1910 and renamed
Puget.  In 1923, she was chosen to inaugurate service between Seattle and Port Ludlow, and was rebuilt at a cost of $30,000.00 and
converted to carry cars.  In 1925 she was re-powered with  a 320 horsepower  oil-burning Bolinder engine.  This proved to be unsatisfactory to PSN (Black Ball Line) and in 1931 the engine
from the steam ferry
Whidby, which was being converted to the Rosario, was placed into the ferry, making the Puget the only vessel to have gone from steam to diesel and back to steam
again.  Sold by PSN in 1941 to Red Salmon Canning Company.

FINAL DISPOSITION: Foundered in Ward's Cove, Alaska, 23 March, 1951.
PIONEER (1916)

OFFICIAL NUMBER: 214442  BUILT: 1916 LENGTH: 62  BEAM: 19.8  DEPTH 7.5
GROSS/NET TONNAGE:   PASSENGER CAPACITY:   AUTOS:  

HISTORY: Built  for  Harry Hanson for the Manette-Bremerton route.  Sailed that route from
1916 to 1930.  Sold to Olson Ferries in 1930 and place on the Steilacoom-Anderson Island
ferry run.  Became part of the Steilacoom ferry service in 1955, and continued to sail until
1965.

FINAL DISPOSITION: Damaged by fire in 1966, turned into a floating home.  Afloat as of
1986.

Photo courtesy the Captain Raymond W. Hughes Collection.
PIONEER (1921)

OFFICIAL NUMBER: 221371  BUILT: 1921  LENGTH: 61  BEAM: 22  DEPTH 7.5
GROSS/NET TONNAGE: 43/33  PASSENGER CAPACITY: AUTOS:  

HISTORY: Built for use between Seabeck and Brinnon in 1921.  In 1928 she was leased to
Berte Olson for use on the Oak Harbor-Utsalady run as a backup to th
e Acorn.  Sold in 1930
to run between Goble, Oregon and Kalama, Washington, it was apparent that the new
bridge in Longview was taking all the traffic and the
Pioneer was moved to Astoria, running
across the Columbia to Knappton, a mill town on the Washington side not accessible by
roads (the "K" on her funnel stood for "Knappton").


FINAL DISPOSITION:  Scrapped in 1951.

Photo courtesy the Captain Raymond W. Hughes Collection.