W
WASHINGTON
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 222912  VESSEL BUILT: 1923 at St. Helens, Oregon, for use on the
Columbia River.   LENGTH: 120  BEAM: 36  DEPTH: 8.4 GROSS/NET TONNAGE: 95/64

HISTORY: Purchased by Black Ball in 1930
 from the Longview Ferry Company,  the
Washington  was likely put out of work but the new Longview Bridge.  Black Ball assigned
her to the Mukilteo-Columbia Beach run.
For the next eight years or so, the
Washington provided service on the route with the
converted steamer
Puget.  It seems that the open-deck Washington was primarily a
secondary service vessel, working the busier summer schedule, and occasionally into
fall, but taking the winters off.
By 1939, with Black Ball having absorbed the Kitsap County Transportation Company
and having purchased the first round of larger ferries from San Francisco, the smaller
vessels began to disappear.  The 1939 schedule notes the much larger ferry
Bainbridge  
working the route.   

FINAL DISPOSITION:  Scrapped about 1940.

Photos courtesy of the Captain Raymond W. Hughes Collection.
WEST SEATTLE
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 203906 VESSEL BUILT: 1907  LENGTH: 145  BEAM: 48.7
DEPTH: 10.8 GROSS/NET TONNAGE: 773/487 PASSENGER CAPACITY: 1000

HISTORY: Built in 1907 to replace the
City of Seattle (which, rebuilt with two pilot houses,
stayed on the route another six years) the
West Seattle was billed as the largest and finest
such vessel built on the Pacific Coast north of San Francisco.
She remained in service until 1920.  It was then used as a relief vessel for the steam
ferry
Washington on the Vashon Heights run.  Most of the time the ferry, which was now the
property of King County, was laid up on Lake Washington.  
She was  leased to Pierce County from May to September 1921, before going back into layup
on Lake Washington.
The ferry sat idle between the years of 1940-45, finally purchased by Treutle Marine Ways
and moved to West Seattle, not far from where the ferry used to sail from, and used as a
warehouse for storing finishing nets and fishing gear.

FINAL DISPOSITION:  Abandoned/scrapped sometime after 1951.  If  you have
more information on the
West Seattle, please EMAIL me.

Photos courtesy of the Captain Raymond W. Hughes Collection.