Official Number: 636551 Call Sign: WYR7641 Length: 328' Beam: 78' 8''  Draft: 16' 6''   Auto Deck Clearance: 16' Speed in Knots: 16 Max Passengers: 1200
Max Vehicles: 124 City Built: Seattle  Year Built/Re-built: 1981 / 1993
Name Translation: From the Kathlamet tribe, the Chinook word calamet meaning "stone," was given to the tribe because its members lived along the rocky
stretch of the Columbia River. A city also bears its name.

The Cathlamet sails under The Brothers while on working on her new home route, the Vashon Island-Fauntleroy route.  Photo courtesy of Brandon Swan.
For a time, the M/V Cathlamet was likely the most notorious of the
Issaquah Class--and certainly the boat that seemed to illustrate every
mechanical malady to ever plague the class of ferries that soon to became
known as the "Citrus Class."

Cathlamet took an instant dislike of the ferry docks at both Mukilteo
and Clinton, and in short order demolished them both within weeks of one
another.  The ferry earned the nicknamed "Can't Land It" and one local
radio station made up a song called "The Wreck of the Ferry
set to the tune of Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund

At WSF and in the Department of Transportation, no one was laughing.  
The ferry had caused millions in damages and was endangering the lives
of ferry riders--something had to be done and quickly.  Pulled in and out of
service, the ferry became the test boat for number of different propulsion
systems, providing invaluable information that allowed the state to iron out
all the bugs. Rid of her twitchy computer system, the
Cathlamet settled
down and behaved like it should have.

Paired with her sister
Kittitas on the Clinton-Mukilteo run, the two sisters
have been nearly inseparable now for close to two decades.  The
Kit and
Cat are very much considered "Mukilteo Boats" as they seldom roam from
this route any longer.

In addition to shedding the troublesome propulsion put in place by MP& E,
in 2003 the ferry had a complete passenger cabin refurbishment.  How
anyone could have included the
Cathlamet in the "rainbow" scheme put in
place by MP& E is a bit of a head scratcher, as the
Cathlamet's paint and
floor tile stripe was brown--not what one immediately thinks of when the
word "rainbow" is mentioned. Her refurbishment put her cabin in a true
rainbow colors--blue and a very striking bright ruby red.  This color had
been used a bit on the
Puyallup, but the extensive use on the Cathlamet
sets her apart from the rest of the vessels in the fleet.

On board, you'll find an  homage to her much smaller predecessor on the
Mukilteo route--the
Olympic of 1938.  Included in a display in her
passenger cabin are the
Olympic's wheel and compass.  The Cat is now
working on the
Olympic's 20 year career  record on the route, but won't
quite make the cut.  With the addition of the Olympic Class ferry
Tokitae in
the summer of 2014, the
Cathlamet moved to Vashon Island run to replace
Homage to the Olympic...

Mindful of the route the
Cathlamet served for so many
years, Washington State Ferries placed several relics
from her predecessor on board--the wheel and telegraph
from the M/V

While the
Olympic spent the lion's share of her time on
the Mukilteo run, she did spent the last part of her career
on South Vashon Island working the Point
Defiance-Tahlequah run, making the artifacts on the
Cathlament not at all out of place. (Unlike the
Chetzemoka, fully decked out with artifacts pertaining to
Port Townsend.)
Two shots of the Cathlamet's passenger cabin,  showing the bright red chairs and details of the
tile.  Photo  by the author.