The First Years: 1947-1954
The Puget Sound Navigation Company, or the Black Ball Line as it was known, had long had an established "night route" between Seattle, Port Angeles and
Victoria. Passengers would embark for a midnight departure time on suites aboard the stately
Iroquois, or, in the early part of the century, the handsome steamer
Sol Duc.
Official Number: 252908 Radio Call Sign: WA3646 Length: 318  Beam: 65  Draft: 16.8
Twin -screw vessel, steel hull Propulsion: diesel engines Horsepower: 4,800  Service Speed : 18 knots.
Auto Capacity: 100 automobiles Passenger Capacity: 1000 Stateroom Accommodations: 200

Above, the launch of Captain Peabody's new flagship on 23  April 1947 at Todd Shipyards in Seattle.

By the 1940's, the Iroquois, despite having been modernized to carry autos and overnight passengers, was still steam-powered and  was becoming unprofitable to
keep on the route.  Although a finely appointed vessel, she was showing her age--at that time, already approaching nearly 50 years old.
Captain Alexander Peabody, president of the company, looked to build a vessel from the ground up for the route.  The new vessel would be the most modern to sail  
Puget Sound waters since the debut of the
Kalakala over ten years before.

Peabody had the vessel designed by  William Francis Gibbs, the  prominent naval architect responsible for rebuilding the former German liner  
Vaterland into the
United States Lines
Leviathan.  Gibbs would later build the greatest American liners ever, the  America and  perhaps his greatest achievement, the  wondrous  
United States .  The "Big U" as she was dubbed broke all speed records on the Atlantic.   At  over 40 knots, the liner would take the Hale's Trophy  by crossing
the Atlantic in just over three days.

Gibbs' commission for Black Ball was constructed at Todd Shipyard in Seattle.  She was christened  as the
Chinook, and was the most modern vessel to grace
Puget Sound waters.  The new vessel was dubbed by Gibbs himself  as "The
Queen Elizabeth of the Inland Seas."  With her finely raked profile, the ferry certainly
looked more like an Atlantic Ocean liner than a ferry boat.  Her arrow-like profile gave the sensation that she was moving even when standing still.

With room for 100 cars and staterooms for as many people, the
Chinook proved to be an immediate success, solidly booked for weeks.  Black Ball was eager to
publicize the vessel.  Promotional photos were produced and a number of postcards were printed.  Not since the
Kalakala had a new vessel been built for the
company, and they wanted to the boat to be profitable.  They were not disappointed.  Her accommodations earned her reputation quickly.

Unfortunately, by the time the vessel made her debut, storm clouds were churning on the horizon for Black Ball.  Strikes, fare issues and pressures from  commuters
and politicians forced  Peabody into a tight corner. By 1950 it was over.  The state had pushed the sale of the Puget Sound Navigation Company.  Peabody
retained  the
Chinook, Bainbridge, Malahat, Quillayute and the fine old express ferry-steamer, City of Sacramento.  When the State of Washington took over
operations in 1951, the
Chinook could still be seen departing Colman Dock for trips to Port Angeles and Victoria.

Time was running out for the Seattle portion of the route.  Profits had dropped on the run, and with Peabody's new venture in Canada, the
Chinook was pulled from
the Seattle part of the route.  She continued between Port Angeles and Victoria, but by 1954, Peabody had a need for her elsewhere.