The Santa Rosa, was one of the six nearly identical Steel Electric
ferries built in 1927.  Her original owners--Northwestern
Pacific--was soon absorbed by Southern Pacific-Golden Gate and,
like the other ferries in the class, was idled with the opening of the
Golden Gate.

PSN purchased the
Santa Rosa and her near sisters to expand
and modernize the fleet.  The
Santa Rosa arrived on Puget Sound  
August of 1940 and immediately went in to the shipyard for
reconstruction.  Renamed
Enetai, the cabin was  expanded and
completely rebuilt and the ferry converted from a double-ended
diesel electric to a direct-drive Busch Sulzer single ender.  
Reconfigured specifically for the  Bremerton run, the
Enetai  joined
the route in April of 1941 and with a few minor exceptions, she
would continue to work the Bremerton run her entire career.

With her running mates, the
Kalakala and  the Chippewa, the ferry
settled into a comfortable schedule that she would maintain for
over 25 years. However, just like the  
Willapa the Enetai's
single-ended configuration would end  her career on Puget Sound.  

Although she lasted longer than the
Willapa, (which was taken out
of service as soon as the
Hyak arrived), once the Yakima took her
place on the Bremerton route, the
Enetai was sent into retirement.
Still, for a time before the
Yakima arrived, the ferry enjoyed a quiet
"twilight time" while people strolled her decks in the summer sun of
1967.  Taken out of service, the ferry and her sister spent time in
Eagle Harbor until the official FOR SALE sign went up.

Purchased by Donald Clair in 1968 as a replacement for the
burned out
Chippewa,  she was towed to  San Francisco under her
old name,
Santa Rosa and sat unused until Hornblower Yachts
purchased the run down boat in 1989.

Hornblower Yachts  restored the ferry  much to her old Southern
Pacific look. Her second wheel house was rebuilt, she was painted
completely white and the large windows on her car deck were
restored.  They did not restore the original outline of her
passenger cabin, however, and she retained the floor plan built
into her in 1941.

Available now for large fully catered  parties that  including dancing
and music,  the old
Santa Rosa, ex-Enetai proves that old ferries
don't always outlive their usefulness.

The last survivor of the Steel Electric class is currently moored at
Pier 3 in San Francisco.  You can find out more about her  
HERE.
At top,  on balmy Puget Sound days the decks and rails were always lined with passengers enjoying
the sun.   Author's collection.  Above, the
Enetai's passenger cabin in the 40's. MOHAI.  Below, the
Enetai/Santa Rosa as she looks today--the lone survivor of the Steel Electric class.  Courtesy of Matt
Masuoka.
The Enetai as she looks today, moored at Pier 3 in San Francisco.  She remains one of the few Washington State Ferries that has had a successful retirement.  Courtesy of Matt
Masuoka.

ENETAI
Built: Alameda, CA 1927 as Santa Rosa  Length: 256' Beam: 66' Draft: 12' 9" Auto deck Clearance: 12' Propulsion: Busch-Sulzer diesel, 2800 HP (direct
drive)
Speed: 15 knots Autos: 90 Official Number: 226599  Radio Call Number: WA4715 Passengers: 1500.  Direct Sister to the Nisaqually and Quinault.
Name Translation:  "Across, on the other side"
FINAL DISPOSITION: Renamed Santa Rosa, headquarters of Hornblower Yachts and a successful banquet/wedding/reception hall.
The Enetai is seen here in 1962, advertising the world's fair.  Author's collection. The Enetai's whistle is being sounded by Captain Bill Anderson.