Year Built/Re-built: 1927 /1958/ 1986   City Built: Oakland, CA as the Lake Tahoe Official Number: 226588 Call Sign: WXT9366
Auto Deck Clearance: 13' 3'' Length: 256' 2"
Beam: 73' 10" Draft: 12' 9" Propulsion: Diesel Electric HP: 2896   Speed in Knots: 12   Maximum  Vehicles: 59 Maximum Passengers: 616 Auto Deck Clearance: 13' 3''
Name Translation: Chinook,  "Land, place where one lives."
FINAL DISPOSITION: Scrapped in Ensenada, MX, 2011.
The Illahee  as seen in a Clark's Ferry Concessions post card.
Southern Pacific Railroad built the M/V Lake Tahoe in 1927 as part of a
trio   that included  sisters
Stockton and Fresno. Then some of the
largest, most modern ferries, they would work just 13 years on San
Francisco Bay before the new bridges became the primary mode of
transport into the city.

1940 saw the
Lake Tahoe making the last crossing on San Francisco
Bay for the Southern Pacific Fleet.  Shortly afterward the vessels were
all offered for sale.   Captain Alexander Peabody's Puget Sound
Navigation Company (Black Ball Line) bought the six vessels for use on
Puget Sound.

After being readied for the trip north, the
Lake Tahoe and Redwood
started north on August 9, 1940.  The Lake Tahoe ended up in
trouble off the coast north of Eureka, California.  High winds and heavy
seas battered the boat.  Her crew was taken off and the
Lake Tahoe,
with pumps left running was battered and left on her on for the next 36
hours.  She managed to stay afloat and was picked up by her tug and
towed to Eureka for repairs.  She arrived off Cape Flattery on 20 August
1940, two days behind the
Redwood Empire.
Renamed Illahee, she first went to work on the Seattle-Bremerton run.  
After the
Willapa and Enetai were ready for service on that route, the
Illahee was moved over to the Suquamish-Indianola-Seattle run in June
of 1941.  In addition to this run, overnight she would make a trip carrying
trucks to and from Port Townsend six nights a week.

The astonishing 22 hour schedule was worked by the
Illahee all through
the war years!

After the State of Washington took over ferry operations in 1951, the
Illahee was assigned to the Seattle-Winslow route.  She was joined by
Evergreen State on the route in 1954.

Like the others in the class the
Illahee was rebuilt in 1958-59.  In
addition to having the car deck timbers replaced with steel plating, the
boats were  sponsoned out eight feet, and the deck level was raised two
and a half feet.

Returning to service on the Winslow-Seattle run, the
Illahee was joined
by the
Tillikum after the Evergreen State was shifted up to the San Juan
Islands. The two ferries held onto their routes until the Super Class
ferries arrived 1967-68.  At time the
Illahee moved around, working at
Edmonds and Kingston and on the Mukilteo-Columbia Beach (Clinton)

In 1977 the ferry's white band on her smokestack was painted gold in
recognition of 50 years of service.  Not long after, another  assessment
on the class was done to determine if there could be some years
squeezed out of the aging vessels.
It was decided that, as long as the ferries could keep their
"Grandfathered" status with the Coast Guard the vessels could be
rebuilt for another 20 years of service.  The vessels hadn't met safety
standards in place since the 1950's.
At top, the Lake Tahoe. Photo# 2  the Illahee in Black Ball livery in a colorized postcard photo.
Author's collection. Photo #3, the passenger cabin after remodeling. #4,  the
Illahee  working her
last job in the San Juans in 2006. Author's photo. Bottom, the
Illahee  in Ensenada.  Photo
courtesy of Shawn Dake.
After the Klickitat was rebuilt in 1982 the plans for the others in the class
being rebuilt were shelved due to financial woes at the ferry system.  By
this time, however, the vessels were increasingly becoming
deteriorated.  The cabins were full of dry rot and the hulls were
springing leaks.  The Coast Guard ordered the three remaining Steel
Electrics off the water until hull repairs could be made.  Throughout most
of 1984 the
Illahee, Quinault and Nisqually took their turn getting
emergency repairs to the hull.

Illahee was finally rebuilt in 1986, and returned to the same routes
she had been working--Edmonds-Kingston, Mukilteo-Clinton, Port
Townsend- Keystone.  She remained primarily as the second boat at
Port Townsend-Keystone until the late 1990's when the Coast Guard
requested that she be moved off the route and assigned to calmer
waters.  At that time she displaced the
Nisqually as the inter-island boat
in the San Juans.

Cracks were discovered in the  hull of the
Klickitat in  the spring of 2007,
and even after repairs were made, concern about the corroded
condition of the hulls of the Steel Electrics grew.

When it was discovered that a crack in a stern tube of the
Illahee had
allowed gallons of water to flow into the hull until it had been patched,
the Coast Guard ordered and inspection of all the stern tubes of the
class.  Original equipment, the cast iron stern tubes had completely
deteriorated.  The
Illahee had new stern tubes built and returned to
service in the fall of 2007 while similar work was being done on the

On December 13 2007, it became official that the Illahee and the rest of
the Steel Electrics were retired.  Work was stopped and the vessel was
made ready for mothballing.

After nearly two years in limbo, the
Illahee and the other Steel Electrics
were sold on June 19, 2009 Eco Planet Recycling, Inc. of Chula Vista,
California.  The
Illahee's long career ended in August, 2009 when she
left Eagle Harbor for the last time and was towed to Mexico for scrapping.

Nearly two years later, and after a year of being half sunk, demolition
FINALLY began on the half-sunk hulk in April of 2011.  The
Klickitat was
apparently cut up first, followed by the
Quinault.  The Nisqually, which
was afloat  and intact as of February 2011, was cut up later that year.
The most difficult job--scrapping the sunken
Illahee, was left for last.  By
2012 the ferry had been completely dismantled.