Name: Defiance  Official Number: 226366 Vessel Call Sign: WE8648  Length: 165' Width: 50' Draft: 13'  Gross Weight:  444 Net Weight: -295;  Propulsion: 2  
Fairbanks Morse diesel engines:  Autos:  32 cars  Passengers: 300.  Name taken from Point Defiance, where the ferry originally worked

The Defiance sails into Keystone Harbor.  Whistle of the Defiance sounded by Captain Oscar Lee.  The Defiance and Skansonia both had steam whistles,
along with air whistles.

At top left, , the Defiance as she looked as built, making a landing a Gig Harbor.

Left,   the summer of 1974 found the
Defiance, her bow modified, working as a fish
processor.  Bottom photo courtesy of David A. Ruble.
Functional, perhaps...

...but ugly.  The tidy little Defiance was completely disfigured for use as a
dogfish processor.  This clipping gives a closer view of the image captured
by David Ruble above, which shows just how clunky looking the
had become.  Author's collection.
Washington State Ferries inherited the route from Port Townsend to tricky
Keystone Harbor  when Olympic Ferries Inc, who'd been operating the route
since 1948, went out of business and ended service in the fall of 1973.  The
Governor stepped in and ordered WSF to take up the route, and in June, 1974
service began with the ferry

Olympic Ferries had been operating the ferry San Diego on the route for the
previous few years, having purchased the vessel from the defunct San
Diego-Coronado Ferry Company, which ceased operating in 1969 after the
opening of the Coronado Bridge.  Prior to the
San Diego taking the over the
run, Olympic had been operating their only other ferry--the all wood
near sister to the

Built in 1927 by the Skansie Brothers Shipyard in Gig Harbor, Washington, the
diesel ferry had first operated from Point Defiance (which is where she got her
name) to Gig Harbor on the Kitsap Peninsula.  Operated by the Washington
Navigation Company, which also owned the
Skansonia, City of Tacoma,
and a number of smaller vessels, the ferry worked the southern arm
of Puget Sound under charter for Pierce County until declaring bankruptcy in
1935.  By 1938, the county had purchased a few ferries and given the charter
to another company; the opening of Tacoma Narrows Bridge finished off
Washington Navigation.
The ferries were idled until the bridge collapsed, but by that time the
Washington Navigation Company was a memory.  The ferries
City of Tacoma,
and Skansonia were sold to the State of Washington.  The Point
Defiance-Tahlequah run had been sold to Black Ball by this time.  The State at
first contracted out with the Washington Navigation Company to operate the
run from Gig Harbor to Tacoma.  This lasted 18 months and then Black Ball
took over the charter.

The Port Townsend-Keystone run, which had been abandoned by Black Ball in
1943, was sold to Olympic Ferries Inc in 1947. Service started in 1948 when
the new harbor and dock was finished at Keystone, Olympic Ferries Inc. using
the 18 car
Fox Island.

Looking to improve service, Olympic Ferries purchased the
Defiance in 1952.
Fox Island was likely held in reserve and then sold to the Gulf Island Ferry
Company in British Columbia in 1955.   From then on, in the summer months
Defiance made the crossing from Keystone to Port Townsend, running
profitably for many years.  In the mid 1950's she also made freight trips into
Seattle, supplementing the service of the
By 1970 Olympic Ferries Inc was looking to replace the Defiance with a vessel
that wasn't going to be as costly to maintain.  The
San Diego seemed to be the
perfect choice so they purchased the ferry and brought her up from San Diego
and sold the

Defiance did not end her career there.  She was converted into a
self-propelled dogfish processor and could be seen roaming around the Sound
for several years.  She did eventually move to Alaska, and was last
homeported in Juneau.  The Coast Guard has a record of her, but lists her as
"out of service" as of 2006.

If you have any memories or further information on the old
Defiance, please
feel free to
email me!