Originally named the Golden West , the North Island was built in 1923 by James
Robertson at Alameda , California as part of the Golden Gate Ferry Company's Fleet.
Later she joined the combined Southern-Pacific-Golden Gate Ferry Company, but was
surplused after the bridges were completed. She was acquired by the SDCF Co. in
Retired in 1969 with the rest of the fleet, the North Island went on to become an
abalone processor in Ensenada Harbor for years, but was eventually abandoned and
Built: 1923 Length: 214.1 Width: 44.4 Draft: 15.2 594 Gross Tons. Diesel-electric powered, propeller drive, wooden hull
Engines replaced in 1953 with two 400 Horse Power
Above, the North Island in a postcard.