While the Silver Strand ended her days in San Diego, she had
extensive history with two other companies hundreds of miles
apart before she went to work for the San Diego-Coronado
Originally build for the Golden Gate Ferry Company as the
Golden Shore, she served the San Francisco Bay area from the
time of her construction in 1927 until the Bay bridges put her
out of work. She was sold in 1939 to the Puget Sound
Navigation Company and brought to Puget Sound where she
was renamed Elwha and placed on the Seattle-Winslow route.
By 1944 Captain Alexander Peabody, owner of PSN Co. felt he
had enough vessels in the fleet to sell the Elwha to the San
Diego-Coronado Ferry Company when they went searching for
a vessel to expand service.
The Silver Strand sailed until 1969. After being sold, she was
towed up to Los Angeles to be converted into a diving platform,
but ended up being snagged on the LA breakwater instead. For
a number of years in the mid 1970's the hulk of the vessel lay
partially submerged on the breakwater, being picked apart.
Finally, she was broken up and all but forgotten about.
|Above, M/V Elwha, first ferry on Puget Sound to carry that name, as she looked in
Black Ball livery from 1939-1944. She would soon find herself in a more temperate
climate. Photo courtesy of Tom Sanislo, color by Nevermore Images.
Diesel -electric powered, propeller drives, wooden hull and superstructure. Original name: Golden Shore; then Elwha Built in 1927 by General Engineering Co.
Alameda, CA. Length: 214 Width: 44 Draft: 17 Gross Tons-779 3 six cylinder engines, 400 Horse Power.
Third time is the charm. After stints in San Francisco and Puget Sound, the Golden Shore finally finds a home on San Diego Bay as the Silver Strand.
|Death of the Silver Strand
The Los Angeles Times captured this photo of the wreck of the Silver
Strand back in 1970, shortly after the vessel was smashed up in the
storm. Another sad ending to a vessel that had served the public well
for many years and in three different cities on the West Coast.