|YEAR BUILT: 1924 by Ballard Marine Railway. Launched 9 September 1924.
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 224248 CALL SIGN: WJ6919
L/B/D: 61 x 25 x 5 GROSS/NET TONS: 43/29
HISTORY: Designed by L.H. Coolidge, Seattle naval architect, and built by Ballard Marine Railway company for Berte Olson. Used on the Deception Pass route at first, then Port Gamble-
Shine on Hood Canal. Later (1954-55) purchased by Whatcom County for Lummi Island.
NAME TRANSLATION: from the tree nut of the same name—probably due to the vessel’s size
FINAL DISPOSITION: Sold; moved to Alaska. Hull still on beach in Seward.
Photo 1 courtesy Bayless Collection, photo 2 courtesy of David Harmony.
PREVIOUS/LATER NAMES: a. Elk b. Airline
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 221669
L/B/D: 104 x 23 x 9 GROSS/NET TONS: 140/113 PASSENGERS/AUTOS: 24 cars /?
HISTORY: The ferry Elk was built with a 150-horsepower Fairbanks-Morse diesel engine by Skansie Bros. for service on the Steilacoom-Longbranch route under contract to Pierce County.
Sold to Crosby Direct Line Ferries in 1925 and renamed Airline, it was used on the Alki-Manchester route. Crosby sold out to Black Ball in 1926, and the Airline was moved to Hood Canal to
work the Seabeck-Brinnon route. Sold by Black Ball to O.H. "Doc" Freeman in 1939, it was used as a floating shop, office and family home.
NAME TRANSLATION: First of the Crosby ferries ABC theme; Airline was the A.
FINAL DISPOSITION: Sold by Black Ball in 1939 to O.H. Freeman, where it became the Fremont Boat Market and reclassified as a barge. Scrapped in 1949.
Photos courtesy the Captain Raymond W Hughes collection.
OFFICIAL NUMBER: 254209 CALL SIGN: WM3843
L/B/D: 62 x 32 x 7 GROSS/NET TONS: 94/77 PASSENGERS/AUTOS: /9
HISTORY: Built in 1947 for the Puget Island ferry run, the vessel was retired in 1960 and
replaced with the Wahkiakum. Moved to Anacortes the same year for the Guemes Island run,
replacing the Guemes (I). The Almar stayed on the run until 1980 when the Guemes (II), a
new 16-car vessel, replaced her. The Guemes (II) continues on the run.
NAME TRANSLATION: "Famous for his noble character” (German)
FINAL DISPOSITION: Allegedly still afloat in Alaska; however, there is no current Coast Guard
record of her.
Photos courtesy the Guemes Island Historical Society and Captain Raymond W Hughes
|OFFICIAL NUMBER: 237180 RADIO CALL SIGN: WK3570 BUILT: 1938 L/B/D: 65/30/ 4 GROSS/ NET TONNAGE: 62/59 CAPACITY: 12 Cars
HISTORY: Built in 1938 in The Dalles, Ore., to carry cars and passengers across the Columbia River. Retired in the 1953, sailed for Seattle and was heavily damaged. Rebuilt, moved to
Herron Island in 1959. Retired in 1989.
Sold to Dennis Redmond in 1994 and converted into a private residence.
FINAL DISPOSITION: Usually moored in Tacoma, the vessel does travel around the Sound in the summer months.
Photos courtesy Captain Raymond W Hughes Collection/ Brandon Moser.