When the Sound Ferry System built the Quillayute in 1927 they had  little idea
that  a mere year later their company would be absorbed by the Puget Sound
Navigation Company.

Black Ball assigned the ferry to the Kingston-Edmonds-Port Ludlow run where
she stayed pretty much until the Bay Ferries with their larger capacity came on
line.  She then moved to Point Defiance and then up into the San Juan
Islands,where she  worked alongside the
Vashon and on the international
route between Anacortes and Sidney, B.C.

Not part of the sale to the State of Washington in 1951, Captain Peabody had
the ferry reconditioned and sent up to Canada to be part of his new ferry
service out of Horseshoe Bay.  The
Quillayute entered service looking
basically like she always had, the only major change to her profile being the
closing in of her car deck windows into a line of portholes.

With the
Chinook II and Kahloke added to the fleet, the larger vessel took over
Black Ball's main route between Horseshoe Bay and Nanaimo, freeing up the
Quillayute to work the smaller runs with less traffic.  For a number of years the
ferry worked the Earl's Cove-Saltery Bay run.

B.C. Ferries picked up the
Quillayute along with the other ferries of the Black
Ball Fleet when they took over operations in 1961.

As with all aging vessels, mechanical woes began to plague the ferry.  
Constructed completely  of wood, she became steadily more costly to keep in
good running condition.  The final straw came In 1963 when the ferry struck a
dead head, punching a hole through her wooden hull planks.  Her captain had
to ground her on a sand bar to keep her from sinking.

As the new ferry system built up its fleet, the
Quillayute became less and less
of an asset.  With her all wood construction, limited carrying capacity and
mechanical woes, B.C. Ferries wisely disposed of the  little ferry.

Quillayute was converted into a floating fish camp and renamed  Samson
.  She  served in that capacity for the next 37 years.
Official Number: 193305 Built: 1927  by the Winslow Marine Railway and Shipbuilding Co. for Sound Ferry Lines
Length: 160' 9"  Beam: 52' Draft: 13' 2"   Gross Tons: 986  Net Tons: 670 Auto Capacity: 36 Passenger Capacity: 600
Propulsion: Washington Estep Diesel  Horsepower: 750  Service Speed: 10 knots
A fishy retirement...

A number of B.C. Ferries have been made into floating fish camps upon their
retirement.  The
George S. Pearson and, more recently, the Queen of the
were made into fish camps.
Quillayute might have been the most successful, serving from her
retirement  until 2003.
Taken in 1974, the
Quillayute is shown here as the Samson IV. In later years
she would be painted blue and white.  Photo courtesy of the City of Richmond.

On 23 June, 2003, while still in use as a fish camp moored in Naden Harbour,
Graham Island,  the
Quillayute's neighboring fish camp the Pender Lady
Pender Queen, ex-Motor Princess) began taking on water.  The Coast
Guard rescued the people on board, but not before taking note of the
Quillayute's condition.

The next day, with the two vessels boomed off, the
Pender Lady began to sink
by the stern. Later in the afternoon, she had completely sunk in 55 feet of
water.  The
Pender Lady's hull had been stuffed with foam plastic in order to
maintain buoyancy and help keep her afloat.  An inspection on the
revealed the old Black Ball ferry to be in a similar condition as the now sunken
Pender Lady, including a hull stuffed with foam plastic to help keep the boat

Fearing an even greater oil spill than the 2,000 litres that had come from the
Pender Lady, it was decided that both vessels should be disposed of to
prevent further environmental damage--and that's exactly what happened.  
Pender Lady was raised and broken up, the Quillayute towed to shore
and broken up.  What couldn't be salvaged was burned, ending over 75 years
of service.
At top,  very rare photo shows the Quillayute working for her original owners, Sound Ferry
Line, docked at Port Ludlow.  Above, an origingal Sound Ferry line brochure. Author's