While the Silver Strand ended her days in San Diego, she had extensive history
with two other companies hundreds of miles apart before she went to work for the
San Diego-Coronado Ferry Company.

Originally build for the Golden Gate Ferry Company as the
Golden Shore, she
served the San Francisco Bay area from the time of her construction in 1927 until
the Bay bridges  put her out of work.  She was sold in 1939 to the Puget Sound
Navigation Company  and brought to Puget Sound where she was renamed
and placed on the Seattle-Winslow route.

By 1944 Captain Alexander Peabody, owner of PSN Co. felt he had enough
vessels in the fleet   to sell the
Elwha to  the San Diego-Coronado Ferry Company  
when they went searching for a vessel to expand service.

Silver Strand sailed until 1969. After being sold, she was towed up to Los
Angeles to be converted into a diving platform, but ended up being snagged on
the LA breakwater instead.  For a number of years in the mid 1970's  the hulk of
the vessel lay partially submerged on the breakwater, being picked apart.  Finally,
she was broken up and all but forgotten about.
Above,  M/V Elwha, first ferry on Puget Sound to carry that name, as she looked in
Black Ball livery from 1939-1944.  She would soon find herself in a more temperate
climate.  Photo courtesy of Tom Sanislo, color by Nevermore Images.    
BUILT: 1927 by General Engineering & Drydock Co., Alameda, CA.
PREVIOUS/LATER NAMES: a. Golden Shore, b. Elwha, c. Silver Strand
L/B/D: 227 x 44 x 16 GROSS/NET TONS: 779/479 PASSENGERS/AUTOS: 500/55 cars
NAME TRANSLATION: Elwha=Elk, Silver Strand: from the long, narrow isthmus of the same name in San Diego
FINAL DISPOSITION: Wrecked on Los Angeles breakwater, 30 November 1970.

Third time is the charm.  After stints in San Francisco and Puget Sound,  the
Golden Shore finally finds a home on San Diego Bay as the Silver Strand.
Author's collection.
Death of the Silver Strand

The Los Angeles Times captured this photo of the wreck of the Silver
Strand back in 1970, shortly after the vessel was smashed up in the
storm.  Another sad ending to a vessel that had served the public well
for many years and in three different cities on the West Coast.